The Winter Warmth of Porridge
Well the colder mornings are finally upon us and it’s getting a little bit trickier getting out of bed in the morning. What better way to start your day than with some nourishing good mood food; a warming blend of hearty porridge? It’s comfort food for your soul!
These days we’re led to believe that some grains and seeds like chia and quinoa have the monopoly on the sought-after ‘superfood’ title; however the humble oat sits right up there too. The amazing oat’s talents include helping to reduce bad cholesterol and they’re packed with vitamins, minerals and fibre. Porridge is the king of breakfast. It’s packed full of goodness and has a wide range of proven health benefits.
Porridge with milk is a brilliant start to your day. It has a generous amount of nutrients and is:
- A rich source of Beta Glucan which is a type of soluble fibre that helps lower bad cholesterol. It acts like a sponge in your intestines and absorbs and eliminates cholesterol-rich bile acids.
- A source of whole grain; whole grains have a high amount of dietary fibre. Fibre helps fill you up, which prevents you from overeating. Fibre also helps to keep your blood-sugar levels on an even keel.
- Full of vitamins and minerals: including Thiamine, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Zinc, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folate, B Vitamins, Iodine and Calcium.
- Low in Sodium.
- A good source of natural protein.
- A great source of energy: to help keep you firing right up until lunchtime. Carbohydrates are needed for optimal brain function and energy through the course of the day. Porridge contains a high amount of complex carbs, which get digested at a slow pace, unlike simple carbs. This gives you lasting energy.
Give your porridge some pizzazz by adding berries, seeds and nuts to increase its fibre content. Some yum-spiration could include:
- Toasted muesli, granola, nuts or seeds for some crunch
- Stewed rhubarb, apples, pears, cranberries and plums all work well
- Roasted figs and honey for a sweet delight
- Banana and cinnamon – that perfect combination
So, let’s get a head start on winter and welcome the morning with a warming bowl of porridge. Discover our range here!